Summer Job FAQ's

Day Camps

What minimum certifications do I need to work for Avid4 Adventure day camps?
  • All staff must have a CPR certification that is valid through the end of our season.
  • First Aid certifications vary by position.
    • Camp Directors are required to have a Wilderness First Responder or higher.
    • Camp Assistant Directors and Instructors for our 7-12 year olds and single sport camps are required to have a Wilderness First Aid or higher certification.
    • Aftercare staff and Instructors with our 3-6 year old campers are required to have a Community First Aid certification.
Do you pay for Required Certifications?

WFR for Camp Directors: YES! We reimburse 50% of the cost for WFR immediately and then reimburse the other 50% after completion of your second summer as a Director.

WFA for Instructors: YES! To pay for this certification, we increase your hourly pay by $0.50. So, over the course of a summer, you will earn approximately $200 to cover the cost of this incredibly useful certification.

CPR: No. We do not pay for this certification.

Community First Aid No.  We do not pay for this certification.

What other paperwork does Avid4 Adventure need from me if I am hired?

The documentation we need from staff varies based on your position and the state you will be working in. Once you sign a job offer, you will receive a login to our paperwork system, which will clearly outline all of the documentation you need to provide.

Where and when is day camp staff training?

Staff training is mandatory for all staff and is a total of seven days, 8am-5pm, Sunday-Sunday. Training dates and locations will be posted in February.

Am I paid for training?

Yes! Training days are paid at minimum wage, except for days where staff receive a certification (driving & paddle sports days) which are not paid because Avid4 Adventure covers the cost of your certification.

How and when do I get paid?

Staff are paid via direct deposit semi-monthly throughout the summer. Deposits are available 7 days after the end of the pay period. Once hired, you can view pay dates on the Staff Portal.


Do you provide housing?

We don’t provide housing for our day camp staff. However, we totally understand that this can be a BIG question for some of our staff. So, through various connections, we have ways to make it easier for you to find and get housing! Don’t worry – we will be a resource for you!

How many hours should I expect to work? Do I get time off during the summer?

Please check each position description for specifics on hours, as they can vary for some positions. Day camp staff have the opportunity to take 1 – 2 weeks off during the summer. Partial week requests are not given due to the nature of our activities and consistency we want to establish with children and families.

Are there opportunities to work past the summer?

Yes! We do run School Programs and Special Events in the Fall and have a limited number of positions available for staff that wish to extend their employment with us. We are also continuing to grow and positions at our Headquarters often come available in the fall. Please check our school program and headquarters positions.

Does my child get a discount on camp?

Yes! Seasonal Staff receive the following discounts: 25% off when registering in advance, 50% off (less than 5 days to the start of camp), 75% off (last minute discount; within 24 hours of camp starting). Salaried staff receive free camp for their children.

Do I need a car?

No. We have 15 passenger vans that are used during the day to transport staff and campers to recreation sites. We do ask that you have reliable transportation to get you to camp on time each morning, which could be a friend, the bus, a bike, or other modes of transportation. One of our core values is Live Environmentally Connected! So, for staff that take public transportation to and from camp, Avid will reimburse the fare.

Colorado Mountain Camp

Do you hire International Staff?

Yes! We strive for diversity in all ways at CMC. All international staff should fill out our online application. If we decide that you are a good fit for CMC, then we will get you set up with an agency that can guide you through the visa and travel arrangements. Avid will provide you with a partial travel reimbursement and a salary for the summer, but international staff will need to personally cover the additional expenses for visas and travel.

Am I a good fit for Colorado Mountain Camp?

Colorado Mountain Camp hires camp staff each summer who we consider the best at living our camp culture and creating a home-away-from-home for our campers. Working at a residential camp where you live on site and mentor campers 24-7 is not for everyone. We look for individuals who are passionate about making a difference in the life of a child, who believe strongly in the positive benefits of outdoor experiences, who come to the job with technical skills in outdoor sports, and who find energy and joy in creating an amazing experience for campers.

What if I don’t have much outdoor experience?

Our number one goal at Colorado Mountain Camp is to inspire kids to have a life-long love of outdoor activity and to teach them to be environmental stewards. CMC staff come with a wide range of experiences and skill sets relating to the outdoors. It is not a requirement that you are expert in all of our sports, but we are looking for a solid foundation in several of them and experience in the backcountry. Our pre-camp staff training covers many of the skills you will teach throughout the summer.

What is Colorado Mountain Camp Staff Training all about?

All CMC staff will participate in a mandatory pre-season training. Topics will include youth development strategies, risk management, learning age group characteristics, team building, facilitation skills, leadership techniques, adventure sports teaching, backcountry skills and much more! Of course, staff training is also about bonding and having FUN, and becoming oriented to one of our incredible camp locations you’ll call home for the summer. Throughout the summer, team development continues through regular meetings to discuss areas for program improvement and strategies to ensure campers grow and have the most intentional learning experience at camp as possible.

What certifications do I need?
  • All staff must have CPR and a Wilderness First Aid or higher certification that is valid through the end of our season.
  • Teen Leader instructors much as a minimum of Wilderness First Responder.
  • Support staff (Facilities, Dining Services staff, and EITs) are required to have a Community First Aid certification and CPR.
  • Nurses are required to have a current Colorado RN or LPN license.
Do I need a car?

Not at all! Your meals, lodging, health needs, and fun are all provided at camp! At CMC, we want to create as low a carbon footprint as possible, so we HIGHLY encourage staff to carpool when they have time off. You can usually get a ride into town with another staff member when you have scheduled time off.

How do I communicate with the outside world?

We have a staff phone (landline) that may be used at specific times, for short periods of time. We do have very spotty cell phone reception at camp and encourage you to use your cell phones only on time off. Staff usage of these items is a privilege that is not available to campers, so staff must use discretion with them. We have a handful of laptops available for staff to use, however many staff bring their own laptops to camp. Wireless internet is available in the camp office. We ask that you use your computer at specifically designated times only and never in the cabin. Staff members assume all risk associated with bringing expensive items to camp.

How much are staff paid and when?

Our competitive salaries are determined by qualifications, years of service, and your role. See our compensation rates. In addition to salary and travel allowance, instructors are provided with meals, lodging and health service. Staff are paid semi-monthly during the season via direct deposit. Deposits are available 7 days after the end of the pay period.

Does Avid4 Adventure offer staff any other perks?

YES! Our staff are the core of who we are and we want to make sure that we take care of them. Check out staff perks on the compensation page.

Do I get any time off during camp?

We want staff to be at their best all the time, so time is allotted to relax and recharge. Scheduled time off varies from week to week and usually amounts to at least one night off during each camp session, a short time off during the day, and additional time off between each session.

Where do I sleep? Shower? Do laundry?

Lodging for the summer season is provided as part of the contract at CMC. Instructors will live with the camper groups inside rustic, yet modern, cabins. Support Staff members will live in cabins and lodging located around the camp property. Cabin storage is limited, but the bed is comfy and the cool nights wonderful. Private staff showers are available. Laundry is done onsite in the clinic.

Is food provided?

Yes! Meals are a part of your compensation

Can I bring a pet with me to camp?

Unfortunately, pets are not able to be accommodated at camp.

School Programs

When do you hire for school programs and who is eligible to apply?

We send an email announcement to our summer camp staff mid-summer when we start hiring for fall school program positions. These positions are only open to Avid4 Adventure summer camp staff.  Positions are awarded based on staff performance over the summer, parent & director reviews and availability. While we wish we could employ as many summer staff who are interested, we have considerably fewer school program positions available.

What are the hours?

While our goal is to get our staff as much work as possible, work hours can be sporadic.  Some days are 5 hours while others may be 12.  Some may start at 6:00 a.m. and others at noon.  That is the nature of school programs; we model our program times to fit each school. Staff receive schedules the Wednesday before a program starts.

Where do school programs take place and is drive time paid?

Currently, we only conduct school programs in Colorado.  The majority of off-campus programs occur at Chatfield State Park in Highlands Ranch or Bear Creek Lake Park in Morrison. On-campus programs occur across the front range in towns such as Boulder, Denver, Longmont, Erie, Highlands Ranch and Golden. There is usually a carpool van from Boulder, however commute times are a reality and drive time is NOT PAID TIME.

How are school programs paid?

School program work is paid hourly.  Please see our pay scale.  However, if you are working at a school overnight program, we pay per day instead of hourly–you are paid your Camp Day Rate + $15 for the overnight portion per day.

Event Positions

How much should I expect to work?

In Colorado, we have events most weekends from May-September. Sometimes just one day; others both weekend days. Therefore, event staff tend to work as-needed. Needs may also arise during the week for special events that occur around camp hours. Currently, we are not running events in California.

Do I need event experience?

No, we will train you to operate our mobile elements. You do need an incredibly positive attitude, experience instructing kids, amazing interpersonal skills, and the fortitude to work long hours in the heat.